Another thing I made! We have a lot of blank walls in the house, and although I own a lot of artwork yet to be hung, not all of it feels right. I want decor for this house! Once again, I got an idea in my head, and so I thought about how to make a giant starburst. Initially, I thought I’d make three starbursts in different sizes for a wall next to the TV, but I hoped to figure out how to make the biggest starburst I could. When I cruised through my local Lowes looking for wooden dowels, I discovered a 7-inch round piece of wood.
The beauty of spending $8 on a round piece of wood is that someone else cut it for me, perfectly round. I could have spent nothing on some cardboard or whatever, but the imperfect circle would cost me peace of mind.
Once I found that round, I grabbed it and went (back) to the wooden dowels and started laying out the various sizes. I picked a size, counted out how many dowels I thought I’d need, and doubled that number. Just to be sure.
I cut the dowels in half. I drew a circle on the back of my 7-inch round as a guide, tracing a small plate, and marked even quadrants of the circle. Then I started gluing, trying my best to glue one dowel to each quadrant at a time.
My goal was to place the dowels as evenly as possible, with mixed success.
This thing turned out to be roughly 5 feet wide and tall. Carrying it outside to spray paint was comical because I didn’t open the doors for myself before I picked it up. I used two cans of silver spray paint over about 3 hours of painting. Those skinny dowels eat up a ton of spray paint. Traditional paint may have been the better option to waste less paint, but I’m not sure how I’d get total coverage. I already had the spray paint, so that’s why I used it.
Once the paint was dry, I cut a rough circle out of a bag to create a backing for the starburst. I screwed in two eye-loop things … the metal things you get in the picture-hanging kit. I strung the wire from said picture-hanging kit between the two loop things, and hung the beast on the biggest blank wall we had.
After some discussion about placement and repeated measurements, I centered the starburst horizontally between the crown molding and the hight of the table. Weeks later, we installed (and by “we installed,” I mean I picked it out and Jeff did all the actual light hanging and electricity connecting) the new light fixture!